Winter 2010
Spanish   |   Archives    

Carbon Monoxide — The Silent Killer

Print   

Creeping silently through your home, there's a killer that gives no warning. This killer is carbon monoxide. An invisible and odorless gas, carbon monoxide (CO) is produced when burning any fuel such as gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, wood or charcoal. It is a silent killer that causes illness by decreasing the amount of oxygen present in the body.

Young children are especially vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide because of their smaller bodies. Also, children process carbon monoxide differently than adults, may be more severely affected by it and may show symptoms sooner.

You won't know that you have a carbon monoxide leak without a working detector. If you burn any fuels for heat or cooking, be sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector to deter this silent killer.

Go to the Safe Kids USA website for simple safety tips to help protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Source: Safe Kids USA

image
goodhealth.com


Good Health for Kids is produced by Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas.